Wednesday, March 17, 2010

St Patrick's Day


When I first arrived Ireland, I thought St Patrick's Day was a kind of independence day for Ireland. I was wrong. It's got nothing to do with the independency of Ireland. It is named after Saint Patrick (circa AD 387–461), the most commonly recognized of the patron saints of Ireland. It began as a purely Catholic holiday and became an official feast day in the early 1600s. However, it has gradually become more of a secular celebration of Ireland's culture.

For years, I did join in the celebration with the climax beng the parade through the city centre. Thanks to my former employers, without having to worry about the weather and the crowd, I could easily have the best spot to watch the parade from my office which is located in the middle of town.


But since I have more than Ameera this time around, we (my husband and I) decided not to go anymore. Rather than stay at home, watching the parade in front of the telly (which would be the next best spot for us now), we followed the crowd, wear green and went out to our favourite shopping centre instead.


Usually, they will be a few events on the day. Face painting and balloon modelling for the kids will be one of the few fun events. Since Hisham was not feeling too well today, we cut the day out short and after having a few pretzels, we headed home and had another lazy day.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...